Hello! As it has still been rather too chilly to be messing about outside just now I have been messing about inside instead. Haven’t actually made much but have been playing with cardstock, spray mists, dies and embossing fantasy film.
I love the delicate colours of fantasy film and have used it for butterflies and dragonflies but I saw on a Barbara Grey (Clarity Stamps) DVD how it can be used to create a beautiful dress/gown on one of those elegant lady stamps that were so popular last year. Then I saw another way to use it here on Billie’s blog and so gave that a try. It had never occurred to me to put fantasy film through an embossing folder; thanks for that tutorial Billie! The effect is lovely and this would look beautiful behind an aperture.
Talking of apertures reminds me of the lattice card I created using a Nestabilities label 9 die on cardstock and this idea came courtesy of Valita . You must check out Valita’s blog, she is a very creative lady and she has many Youtube video tutorials on her site. So after ordering myself the labels dies I thought I would give her technique a go and, although my first card is nowhere near as good as Valita’s, it didn’t turn out too bad. See what you think..
I used a very pale pink pearlescent cardstock for the base and a deeper pink piece of cardstock inside the card. On the outside I hand-made the three ribbon roses and ‘leaves’ and adhered with Crystal Effects. One daughter remarked that this would make a nice wedding card; I haven’t made up my mind on that yet! Here is a close up of the roses:
Over on Leslie’s Stamp That? blog she put up photos of a post it note holder that she devised. The kit with instructions is available from Leslie but she emailed me the instructions – which come complete with step-by-step photos and are very clear and concise – and this is my interpretation of the post it note holder together with a pen that has matching paper inside the barrel. Making the pen match the holder seems to be quite the thing in the USA, have never seen a UK crafter mention doing this but you check out many of the American blogs or forums and this tip comes up time after time.
On the back I have fixed a small magnet so the holder can be put onto a fridge door. An alternative to the magnet could be before adhering the back paper to cover the cardboard would be to adhere ribbon so creating a hoop and then cover the ribbon tails as well as the cardboard with decorative paper. The papers used here were created by Nancy Watts, the word ‘Notes’ were letters from a sheet of peel offs.
Just before Christmas I was experimenting with several spray bottles of mists including Cosmic Shimmer Mist Peacock Green, Moon Shadow Ink Gossamer Gold (purchased from The Stamp Man) and ColourCraft’s Ultramarine Brusho mist spray. I made a fine old mess too! Anyway during the mop up I used several sheets of kitchen towel and set them aside while doing a clear away. I left the kitchen towel to dry out and was quite taken with the various colours on them so I stored the sheets in my scrap paper container. While hunting through the container I came across the kitchen towels again and decided to use them. I have a set of peacock stamps by Elusive Images; I stamped the peacock image onto the sheet of coloured towel and also stamped an image of a feather onto the towel using Stazon ink. I then stamped the peacock image onto a piece of cardstock, cut the tail section from the towel and, using Collall glue (a rubber cement for photos), I adhered the tail section to the appropriate place on the cardstock’s stamped image. I painted the rest of the peacock with a mix of Peacock Green and Gossamer Gold. On another piece of cardstock I sprayed both Peacock Green and Gossamer Gold and left the mists to dry. I stamped a main image of the peacock feather and then random stamped the same image over the cardstock; I cut out the central portion of the feather from the image stamped on the kitchen towel and glued this into place on the central main image on the card stock. It is such a shame that the photographs can’t capture the shimmer effect:
So that’s what I have been playing around with recently, oh and I’ve made lots more paper rosettes. Made some from some pieces of script background paper out of that same container that held the coloured sheets of kitchen towel!
Let me know what you think of my ‘messing’ about!