……can be done when the internet connection doesn’t connect for 6 days. Yes six whole days I was without the internet and I was lost; the amount of times, during conversation, the question came up of “I wonder what happened to (enter film/pop star of choice here)?” I hadn’t realised how many times I access the internet for that sort of information and of course I couldn’t; couldn’t check up on my friends; couldn’t post to my own blog and couldn’t visit any of the forums I frequent (otherwise known as wasting time). There were photos waiting to be emailed, oh it was frustrating but I did quite a lot of crafting.
Just before Leslie left home to go back out on the road again she did a video of altering some motel keys. She kindly sent me some; following her instructions of sanding them well I had a play with some of them. The first one I covered both sides with different papers but haven’t got any further with that one. A hole has been punched in the corner with the idea of adding a charm of some sort. The paper I used on the second side is from the inside of an envelope:
Inspiration may strike of how this key can be finished off. The next two keys have again been sanded and then painted with acrylic paints and crackled with pva glue and then overstamped:
The next bit of crafting came about through tidying up! First the cupboard where photo paper is kept was given the once over and the other bit of tidying up was on the computer. Working through the various files,deleting the rubbish, backing up other files I came across the sample photos and fell in love with one of the pics and thought it would make a lovely image on a card. In the photo paper cupboard I rediscovered a packet of metallic foils or printing on and these first two cards are of the image printed onto the silver foil:
They were very difficult to photograph because either my reflection could be seen or there was bounce back of light; they do look better in real life!
Here is another one of the same image but printed onto ordinary photo paper…please don’t look too closely at my very wonky matting/layering!
The following is of the insert in all these cards:
Caught in crystal (do you remember that technique?) is one of those techniques that were all the rage for a period with everyone rushing out and buying Johnson’s Floor Klear; wonder how many people still have bottles of this lurking in their cupboards? I never did use this product as I found Anita’s 3D gloss to work just as well and now there is Glossy Accents. When caught in crystal was first in vogue many of the mica based products weren’t around and so I thought I’d give these another go. The stamping is done with Stazon on acetate, on the reverse I used some home made shimmer spritzs and then sprinkled extra mica powders on top, added Glossy Accents and then ‘smooched’ crumpled up white tissue over the top and left it to dry overnight:
Shame the twinkling of the mica doesn’t show up.
This last bit of craftiness was inspired by an article in the last issue of Craft Stamper; in the article Katy Fox used one of the ready made boxes sold under the Ranger label. Mine is constructed from scratch by Rod from oddments of wood, it is approximately 30 x 30 cm (12 x 12 inches). It is covered with tissue paper that I have stamped with various images and some of the paper has been sprayed with home made shimmer spritz, there are some pieces that I acquired when Rod received a fancy bottle of whisky. Wrapped around the bottle was a large sheet of thick tissue paper printed with gold ink.
You can see the fancy paper lining the top left aperture and the bottom middle one. After adhering all the surfaces with tissue paper using pva glue more pva glue (slightly diluted) was then brushed over the top of all the surfaces, when it was all dry several coats of a spray varnish were then put on to help protect the tissue paper. The box is now awaiting a fitting added to the back so that it can be hung on a wall.