Paper Artsy have a sheet of rubber stamps (HP1005) that I have wanted for some while now. Especially one in particular, a twiggy hedge with small birds amongst the twigs so when a moo swap with the theme of birds was announced on UK Stampers forum I had the perfect reason (definitely reason and not excuse!) to order the stamps. Whilst perusing the site where, I might add, I could spend a fortune, I found a die to match the larger bird..absolutely perfect! So both these items jumped in my basket.
The service at Paper Artsy is excellent and my order was soon in my hot grubby little hands, those stamps were out of the packaging and mounted on to EZ Mount in short order and play was in progress. The die cuts extremely well and I now have many little bird shapes cut out…these dies are a super way of using up those scraps of card stock that soon mount up. The stamps are deeply etched red rubber with lovely detail, I tried them out with virtually all my inks and the images came out perfect each time.
So whilst stamping away an idea germinated and blossomed; I stamped the larger bird image several times in various colours of inks on to patterned paper…the pattern being on the back of the bird. I then roughly cut out the birds, added an eye to each side, put them into A5 sized laminating pouches and through the laminating machine they went after which I die cut the birds. I punched small holes in the top of the birds with a Silent Setter, put a jump ring through each hole to which I tightly knotted metallic thread and added some beads to the thread. Then I came to a halt, what on earth was I going to use to suspend the birdies from? I did consider going out into the garden to prune some thin stems off the dogwood when, aha I finally remembered a pair of wooden chopsticks I had lurking somewhere. After tracking the chopsticks down and glueing them together at right angles with Glossy Accents I attached the threads to them and hey presto my very own mobile!
To my knowledge I have never had a mobile before….some sympathy here please as I was obviously deprived as a child 🙂
I went on to use the stamps for the moo swap and then on to other projects but grandchildren arrived at different times and loved the mobile, then came the orders. “Granny do you think you could make me one please and can I have these colours?” How do you ignore those pleading little faces? No, can’t be done so four more bird mobiles have been made only this time there were no more chopsticks from which to suspend the birds however a quick search unearthed some thick metal florists wires, leftovers from our cut flower business. Rod was roped in to solder the wires to which he added a couple of tweaks of his own devising – he turned up the ends and sprayed the wires silver.
This is a few of the birds in the colours chosen by the children, the reverse is a patterned paper of some type.
This group of six birds is Kim’s selection with light purple beads on gold thread.
Liam’s colour selection included pink, I think his dad is becoming quite worried so I added blue beads! I am fast running out of places to temporarily hang these mobiles, two of them will be going to their new homes tomorrow.
Hope you liked the mobiles, thanks for looking x