For Christmas I received an ornamental bird cage; I’ve wanted one of these for quite some time so I was both delighted and surprised to actually receive one as I hadn’t realised anyone had heard me!
It is constructed from metal with both an opening domed top and a small doorway. Around the sides are vines and flowers and it was painted a boring cream colour so I just had to change that. Using alcohol inks and Goldfinger (a product similar to rub ‘n’ buff ) this is how it turned out:
The bottom vines were coloured with Ranger’s Denim alcohol ink applied with felt; the door way and inside perch bar also had Denim patchily applied. The sheaves of flowers in the middle section and the vines in the top section had a mix of Bottle and Terracotta alcohol inks dabbed over them and the flowers amongst the vines in the top section had a smidgeon of Orange Sunset dabbed into their centres and then Copper Goldfinger smeared over the petals. Green-Gold Goldfinger was rubbed over all the bars with Denim alcohol ink smeared over the top of the green-gold on the domed portion.
One thing I knew that I didn’t want residing in my bird cage was birds! I hate the thought of birds being trapped in a cage so I used butterflies – as Rod said butterflies can easily get out of the cage if they want to. Kath from UK Stampers kindly sent me some beautiful die cut butterflies and I painted them with Twinkling H2Os to make them shimmery.
Initially I had hoped to suspend most of the butterflies with one or two settled on the perch bar but no matter what was tried these butterflies would not suspend without tipping to one side or almost upside down so I had to rethink. Finally I came up with the idea of sticking two vellum rosettes back to back with thread sandwiched between them and adhering a butterfly on either side – hey presto! Suspended butterflies. Two more rosettes had smaller butterflies attached to them and then magnets adhered to the rosettes and then placed either side of the bars. A ruffled flower had a magnet attached to its reverse side so it would ‘stick’ to the perch bar and a butterfly adhered either side of the flower and, finally, a flower and feather placed into the bottom of the cage with a butterfly adhered to the flower! So it was completed. Our daughter who gave me the bird cage fortunately loved what I had done – expected her to be horrified!
Some close ups of the butterflies:
Many thanks for taking a look x