Gardenpinks' Blog

This, that and life!

Archive for the month “August, 2012”

Name that song.

Over at UK Stampers forum there is a monthly postcard swap; the rules are few but the postcards must be able to go through the post ‘naked’…that is not in an envelope and the postcard be approximately 6 x 4 inches but that is not a hard and fast rule.

The theme this month set by Samantha Read is a favourite song or piece of music. There are some very good postcards posted on the forum already and here is mine:

Favourite song postcard

The most difficult aspect of this theme was choosing a favourite song….. I have so many favourites! Can you guess the song’s title?

I used an embossed resist with shades of blue ink sponged over; red stamped heart, a bottle top for the circles and swirls and the heart/moon image created in a graphics programme on the computer and printed out, a line from the song was computer generated, cut up, inked and adhered to the card.

Thank you for looking x

 

 

Advertisements

Drum roll please!!

At last I can unveil the completed fire screen:

completed firescreen

completed firescreen

Click on the image to see a larger version. Sooo was it worth the wait????? It actually proved to be difficult to photograph once all the paint and gold paste had been put on as there was so much light bouncing off it.

The flowers and background were all painted using acrylic paint with the first coat being a wash (diluted paint) then building up the colours. The centres of the flowers were painted with a mix of Raw Umber and White, once that was dry a coat of iridescent medium was brushed over the top.  When all the painting had been done and dried a light coating of  gold Rub ‘n’ Buff was brushed over the top of the outlining glue. It brightens up the otherwise dark and gloomy fire-place.

Thanks for looking x

Can you tell what is ……

 

…..yet? As Rolf Harris might have asked!

frame for sunflowers

frame for sunflowers

The frame has been given a coat of gesso, then a coat of green acrylic paint and when all was dry white acrylic paint was ‘streaked’ over with a sponge.

The sunflowers have undergone a change since the last post….

Hot glue flowers that have been gesso-ed

Hot glue flowers that have been gesso-ed

I couldn’t believe how many sticks of glue I needed for this, it was a marathon job! I used 14 sticks of glue in the hot glue gun to go over all the petals and central parts of the flowers. I had to do it in two sessions as my poor fingers did ache! Once all the glue had been added the whole board was painted liberally with gesso and set aside whilst I summon the courage to do the next steps!

flower close up with sig

 

I knew that cleaned tomato puree tube was going to come in handy one day! I haven’t got a flower die so I used an old medallion stamp to stamp a couple of images on the opened out tube. A tip here…if you decide to use soft metal tubes then open them out after removing the top and bottom, give them a good wash and dry and then flatten them in your die cutting machine.

For these decoration scissors easily cut out the images, one section of the image had been stamped onto handmade backing paper. The flourishes were cut from gold paper and silver mirri board. This decoration is now in place on the frame and looks quite nice!

Thanks for looking x

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

 

Post Navigation