Gardenpinks' Blog

This, that and life!

Archive for the month “September, 2013”

ATCs Swap

There are two swaps on UK Stampers I participate in; the postcard swap (see post below) and ATCs. Vonny hosts the ATCs and does a superb job with accepting all the entries and then sending the swaps back out again. We had a break during August as so many folk are on holiday so for this month’s swap the theme is houses. Well this was an easy one for me this time as the metal taped house shapes were still well in mind and I came up with the idea of a house within a house!

Image

Ingredients:

Aluminium tape

Inks – Distress Inks – bundled sage and broken china, Versamagic Perfect Plumeria, Archival Black

Coloured pencils for colouring

Black Fineliner pen

Stamps- Penny Black Airmail

Angel Crafts 300gsm white card stock

Thanks for looking x

Image

Advertisements

Postcard swap

Over on UK Stampers forum there is a monthly postcard swap run by the inestimable Sam Read.  The postcards are around 6 x 4 inches, as it is a stampers forum then stamping of some description should be on there and the cards must be suitable to go through the post ‘naked’ i.e. not in an envelope, so embellishments need to be firmly affixed.  It is fun to receive happy post and love seeing how the cards look in the flesh as it were. I have lots of beautiful works of art and now need to buy a photo album to store them all in.

For the last few swaps there hasn’t been a theme for the postcards and this I struggle with! This is what I came up with for this month’s swap:

September's postcard for the swap

September’s postcard for the swap

Ingredients:
Inks – Distress ink Spiced marmalade; Archival black ink; Versamagic Sahara Sand; Memento Desert Sand.
Stamps – Art Journey Clocks plate; Stamp Attack; Papermania Chronology; Cart-US;
Text computer generated
Cardstock – Clarity Stamps white matte.

Thank you for looking x

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

Another Texture

Sheelagh is behind the Fun Weeks Challenge over on Cardmaking Paradise and is encouraging many of us to experiment with and explore different textures in our crafting. For the next piece metal foil or duct tape is being used; I opted for aluminium tape which can be bought from Pound shops, DIY shops or similar. This tape is on a roll and has a paper backing under which is an adhesive.

Starting with a house shaped piece of greyboard various items were glued to the greyboard – in my first piece I used card shaped £ sign, wooden shapes, charms, piece of chain and twine. Once everything is adhered into place then the aluminium tape is carefully ‘massaged’ over the shapes; to define the various shapes I used cotton buds. After covering the whole piece with tape I used an embossing stylus to make indentations around the edge of the piece, then used a blunt pencil to draw other shapes.  Then I covered the whole piece with black acrylic paint, let it sit for a minute and wipe it off with kitchen towel. This gives the effect of Pewter; other colours can be added even alcohol inks can be used. To highlight particular areas a small sanding block can be gently employed.

metal tape used to cover items

metal tape used to cover items

The flower was made from a tomato puree tube; once opened out and cleaned  to expose the lovely golden sheen of the inside of the tube a flower stamp was stamped using Stazon black ink and cut out with small scissors. I dabbed over the shapes with alcohol ink, glued two flowers shapes together and curled the petals. A button was added for decoration.

Not being satisfied with making one house shape I went on to create another one!

Home Sweet Home Plaque

Home Sweet Home Plaque

For the shapes and texture I used an open weave taper such as used by plasterers to cover joins when putting up plasterboard and readily available from any DIY or hardware store. It is slightly sticky so can be just pressed into place, I used this plasterers tape to texturise the roof and represent a window. Small wood discs were adhered along the roof line; a wooden bird on a branch was adhered to the greyboard with other charms added. The row of ‘flowers’ are made from flower shaped wooden buttons with thick yarn as stems. On the oblong plaque is a metal button, shrink plastic cat, metal key charm and wood heart. The letters are greyboard/chipboard. All covered with aluminium tape and the shapes emphasised by using cotton buds to press around the shapes. The whole was coated with black acrylic paint as for the top house shape only this time I added other colours of acrylic paint and wiped them off . The house shape had blue and red paint added but the oblong plaque had yellow and orange.

Thank you for looking x

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

Buttons and more buttons

Who knew buttons could be so much fun and that they could help produce some very interesting pieces?? I am now hooked on buttons and have a good collection started but, I have decided, you can never have too many or much of anything in the crafty sense!

After creating the house shape for the Fun Weeks Challenge on Cardmaking Paradise (see post titled Textures) I went on to  see what else could be covered in buttons and charms.  AnneC on Cardmaking Paradise forum came up with a lovely pendant she had made by using a diecut shape so I had a look through my dies and cut out the bird shape to make some brooches. Two of them looked nicer, in my opinion, without being painted so only covered one with paint and gold wax.

black and gold bird brooch

black and gold bird brooch

no paint, think this is my favourite one!

no paint, think this is my favourite one!

tubular beads to define the wing

tubular beads to define the wing

Now you all know what to do with all those buttons!

Thank you for looking xx

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

Post Navigation