We have all seen those beautifully crafted shadow boxes/printers trays available from many craft stores and a certain auction site; well I have looked at many of them and thought how much I would like one or six of them! With Christmas approaching I decided I would do something similar for my sister who loves this type of thing and she also appreciates hand made, I love my sister!
During one of my can’t -get-to sleep periods, which happen all too frequently these days, I mulled over the idea of constructing one of these printers tray type thingies from scratch. I didn’t have enough strong chipboard or grey board but remembered I did have some pieces of mount board that I bought from a picture framer’s shop several years ago and had not done anything with it.
This is a work in progress and here it is so far:
A work in progress, half completed house box!
As a change this has not seen a coat of paint at all, I set myself the added challenge of using scraps of paper instead. As I rarely use paper for card making I don’t buy it very often but I do have a wallet of scraps from other projects; there are so many gorgeous papers on sale and I love paper but my eyes are always averted from the paper pads when shopping for other craft items! Much of the paper here comes from free papers, some digital, scraps saved from envelopes and the scrap copier paper that gets covered in ink and stamping when card or ATC making and I have finally found a use for it!
I roughly sketched out the house shape and sections on the mount board – pencil marks can be seen in the bottom half
pencil marks galore
Another piece of mount board was used for the outside edge pieces and any glue residue hidden behind the paper coverings.
close up of papers
Paper was then adhered to each back wall section before adhering the uprights – again covered with paper. The tree section is from copier paper when testing out different inks for a Mail Art Swap!
papers used for the back of the house
There wasn’t quite enough of one design to entirely cover the back and side pieces so two designer sheets were used with the roof part being covered with a piece of printer paper sprayed with blue and gold inks. So far so okay, fingers crossed this project gets completed without too much more swearing because my measurements weren’t accurate enough or I had forgotten to take additions of other pieces of uprights into the equation!! Surprising how a millimetre or two can make all the difference!
Thank you for looking x