Gardenpinks' Blog

This, that and life!

Archive for the tag “hot glue gun”

Christmas Wreath

Our two daughters spend quite a time making various decorations for Christmas, something I once used to do but haven’t made any new ones for some years however I was inspired after seeing the photographs one daughter sent to us. She had made not one wreath but two! The first one was a ribbon wreath and looked very festive and attractive but as this one couldn’t be hung on the outside door she decided to make another one with baubles.

I chose to go down a different route with mine; I had been sorting out our huge collection of books and had several piles put ready for recycling and they gave me the idea for the wreath I made! Pages from the Reader’s Digest condensed book were used for the first two rows and a smaller novel provided the inner row.

wreath with sig

Paper cones to make a wreath

I adhered the paper cones to a very large piece of sturdy cardboard using PVA glue. When all was dry then the papers were sprayed lightly with various shimmery mists.

baubles added with hot glue gun

baubles added with hot glue gun

This is the stage the wreath is at just now. What I have in mind to do is to cover another large piece of cardboard with red wrapping paper as a background for the wreath before hanging this on a wall. This turned out to be bigger than I anticipated! It certainly makes a statement and is a great way to recycle unwanted books.

Thanks for looking 🙂

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

Can you tell what is ……

 

…..yet? As Rolf Harris might have asked!

frame for sunflowers

frame for sunflowers

The frame has been given a coat of gesso, then a coat of green acrylic paint and when all was dry white acrylic paint was ‘streaked’ over with a sponge.

The sunflowers have undergone a change since the last post….

Hot glue flowers that have been gesso-ed

Hot glue flowers that have been gesso-ed

I couldn’t believe how many sticks of glue I needed for this, it was a marathon job! I used 14 sticks of glue in the hot glue gun to go over all the petals and central parts of the flowers. I had to do it in two sessions as my poor fingers did ache! Once all the glue had been added the whole board was painted liberally with gesso and set aside whilst I summon the courage to do the next steps!

flower close up with sig

 

I knew that cleaned tomato puree tube was going to come in handy one day! I haven’t got a flower die so I used an old medallion stamp to stamp a couple of images on the opened out tube. A tip here…if you decide to use soft metal tubes then open them out after removing the top and bottom, give them a good wash and dry and then flatten them in your die cutting machine.

For these decoration scissors easily cut out the images, one section of the image had been stamped onto handmade backing paper. The flourishes were cut from gold paper and silver mirri board. This decoration is now in place on the frame and looks quite nice!

Thanks for looking x

ShabbyBlogsDividerF

 

Post Navigation