Gardenpinks' Blog

This, that and life!

Archive for the tag “music”

Use a highlighter!

Paula Whittaker , a very talented crafter wrote an article for Craft Stamper magazine (August issue) about a very simple but effective background for stamping over. For the background a highlighter pen is used – those pens used to highlight text on paper – other marker pens can be used for this effect too. The technique is so simple but I had never thought of it!

Highlighter pen background

This is a good way to use up all those offcuts of cardstock we seem to accumulate; I collected together predominantly white cs but also some cream cs. Colour over the whole piece with a highlighter pen or other marker pen such as Copic or Promarker, then swipe distress ink over the coloured section to tone down the pen. In my case I used Vintage Photo and Antique Linen; I was a little light handed with the distress ink over the majority of the piece but darkened the edges more. Use a selection of stamps – silhouette types seem to work well on these backgrounds.

On my base card I masked off an area and stamped some verse or used a script or music stamp through the mask and then adhered the finished piece of cardstock over the top of the script.

Love this technique, hope you have a go!

Thanks for looking x

New table!

We had a slightly battered old table in our sitting room; it was very useful for slinging all manner of junk into the drawers and the top of it usually carried my crafting overflow as can be seen in the picture below.

Cluttered and battered old wood table

The poor thing was looking fit to be junked so I decided to spruce it up a little. The top was decluttered and I set to work, I didn’t want to just paint it but do something ‘crafty’ and thought I’d have a go at decoupaging it. I already had some printed tissue papers in my hoard but to add variety I pulled out some white, cream and green tissue papers. Some I covered with Moon Shadow Ink – this is a mica based ink – and then stamped images on the tissue paper, some images I gold embossed. Then all the tissue paper was roughly cut into squares and I put similar with similar in pots e.g music and script images in one pot, flowery types in another and so on. Most of the images I used were script, music, birds, flowers and flourishes.

Making a start

The above isn’t a great photo but gives some idea of what I was doing! To attach the squares of tissue paper I used watered down pva glue.

The following photos are of the almost completed table; at this stage I had one leg to complete and since taking these photos (Friday 20th April) I have finally completed it as of this morning!

Almost completed table; just the back right hand leg to finish off.

Close up

As I have finished each section it has had several coats of varnish with the third coat being sanded with fine sandpaper to leave a smooth finish.

As of this morning the final section – the back right hand leg – is now done and except for varnish the table is finally completed! Spending an hour or so here and there this project has taken me approximately 3 weeks to complete.

Thanks for looking 🙂

Post Navigation