Gardenpinks' Blog

This, that and life!

Archive for the tag “stamps”

Challenge card

Leslie over on her blog challenged us to make a card using embossing folders/dies/punches and there is a sketch for the challenge.

The challenge called for the use of design papers and certain placement of items which sat uneasily with me. I know of card makers who can pull out sheets of dp, ink, stamp(s), embellishments and make a card very quickly..I don’t work like that! I am an organic or dynamic crafter – great technical term! This term covers up the fact that I haven’t a clue what I’m going to do until I get there. So I tend to stamp an image or images, create a scene or whatever on a piece of cardstock (usually white) and then hope that this will serve as a spring board for a cohesive card. Lying in a box are several panels of stamped and coloured pieces ready for an idea to come forth; quite often an idea may come to mind as I am busily stamping, inking and colouring, sometimes that idea firms up or it may expand or, even, change shape completely.

Anyhow here is my card for the challenge, make of it what you will but this card took me a great deal of time lol.

Challenge card

Materials used:

White cardstock from own stash, card panel embossed with TH Texture Fade folder Damask coloured with Aloe Vera VersaMagic chalk ink and edged with Impress Chocolate. DP from Paper Cellar Victorian Classic; scraps of cardstock, stamps from Crafty Individuals; acetate panel from stash; handmade rosette.

Thanks for looking x

Altering dominoes

Just a quick post aimed at Leslie who has never done these before and wants a guide – well Leslie I will show you the better ones and then a bad one!

First of all the side to work on is the one without the dots, this is a great surface to use alcohol inks or any other type of ink. If using anything other than alcohol inks for the background colour then use a heat gun to dry it off before doing anything else.

If you are stamping an image onto the coloured background then Stazon ink is best especially if you intend to glaze the whole domino with Glossy Accents because I discovered that some inks don’t like GA as you can see below!

The slug!

The image started life as a seashell and by the time the GA had finished drying it ended up resembling a slug! In this case I used alcohol inks for the background colour, stamped the seashell in Impress Chocolate dye ink which I zapped with the heat gun, masked the seashell and stamped a script image in Stazon black ink. Now all was fine and dandy until I used the Glossy Accents.

These others turned out okay:

Altered dominoes

I adhered a bail with GA to the top left one so ribbon or a chain could be threaded through and the domino worn as a necklace. You can see in the top right domino how the ‘slug’ should have really looked 🙂 All the other images were stamped with Stazon and all were glazed with GA and some gem stones dropped into the glaze before it dried on the flourish and hot air balloon ones.

Stamping is not an essential for altering dominoes – pieces of patterned paper can be adhered onto the coloured background; images can be embossed with embossing powder; small beads or any charms can be glued on; UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel/powder) can be used and a stamp pushed into the top layer whilst the powder is melted and still hot. There are endless possibilities.

The edges of the dominoes can be covered with tiny beads, edged with gold or silver pen or ribbons & cords. The dominoes can be drilled using any hand drill to make holes for jump rings to be threaded through or charms to be hung from. On the dotty side magnets can fixed for the dominoes to be used as fridge magnets or brooch pins attached.

If you don’t have bails or don’t want to drill holes then a large bead glued on horizontally on the top edge is a good substitute for threading cord, etc through to use the finished domino as a necklace.

domino

I ‘made’ this domino several years ago..I coloured the background with inks and then covered the ink with this slightly transparent image so the yellows would show through. This image was in fact a cover I removed from a cigarette lighter and is a thin plasticised material.

I haven’t yet decided up on what I shall do for my next dominoes but hope these have given you a taster of what can be done. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks for reading x

Post Navigation